Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hope changes EVERYTHING.

You guys. Church this morning was EVERYTHING.

One of the things that I was semi-worried about with my move here to Maryland was getting connected into a new church community. I had just started going to New Vintage Church in Richland, and it was amazing. I loved the worship, the pastor, the messages....every week it was like God was SCREAMING a new confirmation at me that pertained to something about not only my move, but about life and love in general. So imagine my anxiety when it suddenly dawned on me that I'd have to find a new church community, one that I loved just as much (if not more) than New Vintage.

The past few weeks have proven that I have nothing to worry about when it comes to finding a community that I love just as I love New Vintage. I am so happy that my sister took me into Cornerstone Church in Bowie. Pastor Mark really reminds me a lot of Pastor Matt at New Vintage, in the sense that they are both SO REAL in their love and their passion for sharing the word of Jesus Christ, and bringing people to know His love and His hope for us.

Now, for those who know me, y'all know I've got a passion for singing. So naturally, my favorite part about a service is the WORSHIP. Normally, I'll spend some time preparing myself spiritually and emotionally before I head off to church, that way when I get into worship, it's just me and the Holy Spirit and nothing else matters. It's where I can pour out my heart to Him through song. Well today, they sang one of my favorite worship songs, "In Christ Alone." I don't know how many of you know it, but it is a constant reminder, every time I hear it, that Christ is SO MUCH BIGGER than any of the worries or problems that I have in my life; that He has CONQUERED death. It literally brings me to tears every time I hear it or sing it but most of the time, when I'm hearing it, I'm usually singing it, too. :)

Today's service topic was "Hope Changes Everything," and one of the main points that Pastor Mark wanted to discuss was death. Who likes talking about death? I sure don't. The thing about hope, though, is that it changes how you view death.


1 Peter 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! 
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be 
BORN AGAIN to a LIVING HOPE through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading

The hope that Jesus gives is a living, longing, and lasting hope. 

Born again to a living hope!!! That is something I am totally game for! I'll touch on this more in depth in a separate blog post, but there was a time in my life when I was SO LOST I swore I couldn't be found, and if I ever was found it'd be in death, because I didn't want to live anymore. Christ met me where I was at and pulled me out of that. I was born again to a living hope- a gloriously beautiful living hope- through Christ. 

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

One of the quotes that really stuck with me, and spoke right to my heart, in this service was this:

There is NOTHING that comes our way that He hasn't already conquered.

No matter what comes my way, no matter what obstacles I face, no matter what problems arise....Christ has already conquered all of those. How freaking comforting is that?! Come on now!! It really makes me take root and think back to EVERYTHING that I have been through in my life- yes, from childhood all the way up until now- and OH MY GOSH!!! I survived it all because Christ conquered it! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The past 8-ish years of my life have not been easy. They have not been pretty. I swear I shouldn't be alive right now, but obviously God needs me around, because I survived it. Even when I didn't WANT to survive it, I did. By the grace of God I've been spared and I'm still here. I can't thank HIM enough. 

Needless to say, I feel very optimistic and very excited about what is to come at Cornerstone. I look back and I wonder why I was worried about finding a home church when GOD ALREADY HAS IT ALL FIGURED OUT!!!! Silly me. 

I honestly love you guys. 
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I'm so glad you've found a new church home! I've been praying you'd get plugged in quickly. :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete